Balligave is 80 km from Shimoga and 20 km from Shikaripura. In 12th century, Balligave was capital of Kedara rulers. The main attractions of Balligave are Keshareshwara temple, Panchalinga temple, Thripuramthakeshwara, Kaithaleshwara and the Veerashaiva mutt.
This is an excellent example of a trikuta triple towers temple in transitional Western Chalukya - Hoysala architecture. It is the oldest example of such a combinational style in Karnataka according to reports from the Mysore archaeological department. The temple faces east and has a stepped entrance on three sides. The entrance on the sides is a Western Chalukya idiom.
The central shrine has a linga universal symbol of Shiva made from black marble Krishnashila. The shrine to the south has a linga called Brahma and the shrine to the north has a statue of Janardhana Vishnu. The temples outside plan is in "staggered-square" style with many projections and recesses which is a Hoysala design. The outer walls of the open mandapa hall have carvings of women wearing fine jewellery. Two Hoysala emblems were added in 1060 CE by Hoysala Vinayaditya. The superstructure tower of the vimana shrine are very well decorated with sculptures of Tandaveshwara, Varaha, Uma Narasimha, Bhairava etc. forms or avatar of Shiva and Vishnu and the sukanasi of all three towers still exist. The western shrine is the oldest dating from the 7th or 8th century. Attached to the vestibule that connects the shrines is a well designed open mantapa with two rows of pillars. The outer row of pillars are 16 faced while the inner row of pillars are lathe turned with bell shaped mouldings, a style popular with both Western Chalukys and Hoysalas. The ceiling of the mantapa is flat and the inner ceiling is well carved with lotuses in them. The central ceiling has the carving of Tandaveshwara dancing Shiva with eight dikpalakas guards. The entrance to the shrine which faces east has a Nandi, the bull and a celestial attendant of Shiva.